DSD and certain WAV files won't play with Sense app and Naim NDS

SalsaCycle

Aug 2, 2024
Montreal
Since about January of 2024 I have been unable to play DSD files or WAV files above 96 kHZ using the Sense app with a Zen Mk III and my Naim NDS streamer. DSD files play, but have very obvious white noise. I also have a couple of WAV files at 176.4 kHz that give only loud white noise. WAV files up to 96 kHz and FLAC files up to the DAC's maximum of 192 kHz play fine. The problematic files also play fine when using native UPnP and the Focal/Naim app. This is my work around. I hope that this issue can be fixed in a future Sense update, as the interface is so much more user friendly than the Focal/Naim app.

We'll need to do some more investigating around the WAV 176.4 kHz problems; certainly if there are any other Naim owners here who can test, that would be interesting.
Have you tried the two Naim NDS profiles in SenseUPnP?
1722850792296.png

My original post was a brief summary of the problem as of today. Here's the complete story FWIW.

I originally had a Zen Mk II and enthusiastically embraced the Sense App when it was released (was a beta tester). Through various versions I was always able to play DSD files. In July of 2023, I purchased two albums in WAV format from small, audiophile labels. One was at 176.4 kHz, the other at 192 kHz (apologies for the error in my original post, where I said both albums were at 176.4). Both of these gave only loud white noise. I went back and forth with tech support about this and sent a sample track from each album for testing. Sense update 2.5.1 seemed to fix the problem and I was able to enjoy both of these albums and my DSD albums.

I have been diligent in installing Sense updates when they become available. As I first noticed the problems in the original post in early May, I assume that they are related to an update later than 2.5.1. I had been using the NDS/NDX profile; Nuno suggested that I try the NDS v2 profile. To get this to appear in the profile list, I had to reboot the server. At this point, my Zen Mk II decided to stop functioning. I replaced it with a Zen Mk III. I've tried both the NDS/NDX and NDS v2 profiles; however, the problems described in the original post remain.