Album Merge Issue on Sense

ARD53

Sep 30, 2024
CT
Hi, I am totally enjoying Sense and Innous. I am new to the Brand and it's made all the difference streaming with my Aperio. I am having an issue with the merge album feature. It works sort of on and off. Sometimes it just merges the selected albums. Other times the merge album selection is grayed out and can't be selected at all. I notice this when I sat down after loading my files and started to look for albums I could merge. Seems like if you do a couple then the system needs time before it will be available again? Also when you try more than3 albums I notice it even more? I have a strong fast, direct connected internet (not wi-fi) so I considered that but don't think that's it? Anyone with similar or thoughts?

The network speed will not be related in this case, this may be more to do with processing power etc. Can you give an example of albums where the merge tool is not available? There is likely an underlying reason why it is greyed out but this could be due to various reasons. If you could send a screenshot of some of the albums you are struggling with, i may be able to identify the problem.

also sent via email one example the Bee Gee album. I did several successfully but most others not

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 7.19.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 7.19.27 AM.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 10
its really a bit strange. I find it works merging on and off. I can do 5 or six merges, I wait until the update is completed and noted on the screen before adding more. Some time its fine. The after waiting a bit it will great out and not do any merge? I looked for pattern, for example making sure I am merging albums I ripped together making sure I am not merging a streaming service album with a file I ripped??? thinking this might be an issue but its not that. I am at a loss

Indeed the trick will be to look for a pattern which should help us identify.
As mentioned before, does the problem persist for the Bee Gees album or have you been able to return and merge those?

Stephen, good morning. I'm still having issues. Now here are some data points.
1- I transferred my library so far of some 1200 CD's that were ripped to Roon Nucleus over the last several years. I moved the files via network connections. All the rips were done on my MBP in AIFF.
2- I have music from Qobuz and Tidal added to my Library so I am taking care to notice if I'm merging a ripped album with a streaming service album. It seems to make no difference. I tried with a number of albums matching the source, same results.
3- I wait more than minutes after the data base messages the update is completed before anding more to any que.
3- I have started ripping some new stuff. I have ripped in both Flac and WAV. So far I think I prefer wav. I know it takes up quite a bit more space but trying to go total lossless if possible with no unbundling of files before playback. I have noticed a couple of files that the Flac file sound better(comparing same album?) That has me curious as it is my intention re-rip everything onto the Innuos from scratch and am therefore trying to make a final determination on WAV vs FLAC to use with my MK3. I can see me upgrading in the not too distant Future as the sound improvement since getting into your stuff has be significant, I can only image your higher end components. The NG not having a CD ripper makes me need to go higher up the change to get one with it. Im visiting sites looking for deals I see a statement on Audiogon but is not your latest version and not any kind of deal that can't be passed up. So I'll keep looking . Meantime you help with the above questions will be great.
PS: I was reviewing Dac's for my next upgrade, the performance of the MK3 has made me redirect to the Innuos higher level. I have done the Dac swaps and I am actually finding I see a greater improvement in my performance from the MK3 device that a dac upgrade. Also Aperio's integrated approach really seems to be a strength so I don't want to add to the chain and change in that area any longer.
Thanks

Also, any thoughts on the improvement from the original statement to the latest would be helpful. I also assume an original can be factory upgraded to the latest?

It goes to show what a difference a good digital transport makes!
Do note that the new ZEN and ZENith Next-Gen can do CD ripping, you just need to add an external USB-connected optical drive to do this. I have tried it with a Buffalo one and works exactly the same as the integrated ripper, so I would give serious thought to the new Next-Gen devices.
As for album merging, let's keep this simple - Are you still unable to merge those 2 Discs of the Bee Gees album you showed? The reason i ask this is because i am trying to see if there is a consistent underlying cause that could be present on those files, or if this issue is seemingly random (which is unlikely).

I wrote you a previous post, it's past that. left some detail. anything you need clarified? Another issue here is the specific which is my best way to explain. I have a CD by Mark Knopfler Called. "Tracker" in the web app in my library I have the same album only from the Qbuz service. I want my own CD ripped to my library. I do it in WAV. when I go back to the artists albums it only shows the Qbuz file not what just successfully ripped? I have the same issue with several other albums.

Another question was . Can you leave the unit on all the time or do you need to shut it down nightly?

It goes to show what a difference a good digital transport makes!
Do note that the new ZEN and ZENith Next-Gen can do CD ripping, you just need to add an external USB-connected optical drive to do this. I have tried it with a Buffalo one and works exactly the same as the integrated ripper, so I would give serious thought to the new Next-Gen devices.
As for album merging, let's keep this simple - Are you still unable to merge those 2 Discs of the Bee Gees album you showed? The reason i ask this is because i am trying to see if there is a consistent underlying cause that could be present on those files, or if this issue is seemingly random (which is unlikely).
What is a Buffalo? company name? if the transport is a usb connection that's where my Aperio is connected now, how would that work? What other connection can or should be used?

I wrote you a previous post, it's past that. left some detail. anything you need clarified? Another issue here is the specific which is my best way to explain. I have a CD by Mark Knopfler Called. "Tracker" in the web app in my library I have the same album only from the Qbuz service. I want my own CD ripped to my library. I do it in WAV. when I go back to the artists albums it only shows the Qbuz file not what just successfully ripped? I have the same issue with several other albums.

Another question was . Can you leave the unit on all the time or do you need to shut it down nightly?
You can double check if the CD ripped successfully in the history section of the CD Ripper - it will indicate if there was a possible problem. But if all seems fine then it could be that the library is not updating properly which would be strange; you can go to SETTINGS -> STORAGE and try a Rescan to have the folders re-examined and refresh the library to see if that fixes.
It is fine to leave the server on 24/7 if you wish.

What is a Buffalo? company name? if the transport is a usb connection that's where my Aperio is connected now, how would that work? What other connection can or should be used?
Yes, Buffalo is an IT brand who make disc rippers, i had one even does Blu-Rays. The ZEN and ZENith Next-Gens actually have 4 x USB outputs if you include the PhoenixUSB reclocker, that leaves 3 other ports for peripheral usage - you could connect a ripper to any of those.

You can double check if the CD ripped successfully in the history section of the CD Ripper - it will indicate if there was a possible problem. But if all seems fine then it could be that the library is not updating properly which would be strange; you can go to SETTINGS -> STORAGE and try a Rescan to have the folders re-examined and refresh the library to see if that fixes.
It is fine to leave the server on 24/7 if you wish.
Thank you , I tried the steps you outlined but no change in the result. Several files that said ripped successfully only appear in the music library from Qbuz or Tidal no sign of my wav ripped cd?

Thank you , I tried the steps you outlined but no change in the result. Several files that said ripped successfully only appear in the music library from Qbuz or Tidal no sign of my wav ripped cd?
This is very odd. Are you on the latest 3.0.4 Sense software? It might be that we need a copy of your System Logs sent to support@innuos.com to try and understand what is going on there. The System Logs can be found and downloaded in the Advanced System Settings section.