Will innuos offer a SSD upgrade to Zen Mk3

sandworm

Aug 24, 2024
Bay Area, California
Now that the Zen mini is only offered with SSD, and they offer an SSD upgrade for those that have HDD, will this come to the Zen Mk3? Or will they scrap the Mk3? I'd like to upgrade although maybe it's better to just trade my mk3 towards a mini and power supply?

There are no current plans to have the 'S' treatment for ZEN (which would be a little more complex than it sounds), so I might sooner suggest either upgrading to a ZENith or waiting for the successor range to follow the Mk3 which is likely to mostly, if not entirely, SSD-based.

I'd not recommend swapping a ZEN Mk3 to a ZENmini + LPSU as this would be a downgrade. More basic motherboard, a lesser PSU section, lesser chassis etc so not really worth it just for the SSD.
Was there a particular motivation for wanting the SSD specifically?

There are no current plans to have the 'S' treatment for ZEN (which would be a little more complex than it sounds), so I might sooner suggest either upgrading to a ZENith or waiting for the successor range to follow the Mk3 which is likely to mostly, if not entirely, SSD-based.

I'd not recommend swapping a ZEN Mk3 to a ZENmini + LPSU as this would be a downgrade. More basic motherboard, a lesser PSU section, lesser chassis etc so not really worth it just for the SSD.
Was there a particular motivation for wanting the SSD specifically?
Hello, new member here. I've been holding off buying a ZEN for about a year because of the lack of an SSD option. I'd love to know if you have an SSD ZEN model in the pipeline, to bridge the gap from the ZEN Mini to the ZENith.

A friend of mine has a ZEN Mini Mk3. I'm so impressed with the sound quality and the Sense app is such a welcome alternative to Roon. My streamer/server from another audiophile brand died after about 4 years. It had an HDD that whined and clicked audibly all of the time - the sound drove me nuts and it failed prematurely, out of warranty. That's my personal motivation for wanting to avoid an HDD.

Hello, new member here. I've been holding off buying a ZEN for about a year because of the lack of an SSD option. I'd love to know if you have an SSD ZEN model in the pipeline, to bridge the gap from the ZEN Mini to the ZENith.

A friend of mine has a ZEN Mini Mk3. I'm so impressed with the sound quality and the Sense app is such a welcome alternative to Roon. My streamer/server from another audiophile brand died after about 4 years. It had an HDD that whined and clicked audibly all of the time - the sound drove me nuts and it failed prematurely, out of warranty. That's my personal motivation for wanting to avoid an HDD.
I can say with a fairly high degree of certainty that no SSD version of the ZEN Mk3 today is in the works, and nor are we planning to introduce this. Therefore, you may be better off considering the ZENmini Mk3 (S) with the LPSU instead.
Do keep in mind that not all HDD integrations are the same - i have an older ZENmini Mk3 with HDD in my living room and i cannot hear it. There's a lot that can be done in terms of isolating the noise but also in the firmware that dictates the read/write behaviour that minimises drive activity.

I can say with a fairly high degree of certainty that no SSD version of the ZEN Mk3 today is in the works, and nor are we planning to introduce this. Therefore, you may be better off considering the ZENmini Mk3 (S) with the LPSU instead.
Do keep in mind that not all HDD integrations are the same - i have an older ZENmini Mk3 with HDD in my living room and i cannot hear it. There's a lot that can be done in terms of isolating the noise but also in the firmware that dictates the read/write behaviour that minimises drive activity.
Thanks for your quick reply, Stephen. It's so rare nowadays that companies make themselves accessible and responsive. This forum and the feedback zone are 2 more reasons I'm a soon-to-be Innuos customer.