Which Dac do you find works best with your Innuos

I have an Innuos Zen Mk3 connected to a Chord Qutest and the results are very good via USB. I started out at the Innuos 1.4.7 release, and the sound quality has improved with updates to Innuos 2 and Sense 3. Sure, if more money is spent the solution may be better, but for the price of these two components the results are very good.

I’m really interested in the Phoenix USB, how did it step up your Zen mini, ( big difference?) I have a Zen MK 3 and am wondering if it’s worth the investment?
I converted to the Pulse streamer a month ago with the intent of testing the Phoenix USB with the Pulse and the Eversolo DMP-A6. The Phoenix USB helped the DMP-A6 a lot. There was a bigger improvement with the A6 versus the Pulse. However, the Pulse was much better than the DMP-A6, and when combined with the Phoenix USB the results where wonderful. Improved instrument/voice separation. Improved stage height perceiption. The stage width did not really change on most recordings. Sold the A6. Extremely happy with the Pulse and USB combo (purchased used for less than half a new Pulsar).

Currently using a PS Audio DirectStream Mk1. This is providing nice results, but now I am wondering how much better can it get. In another post it was mentioned that the Chord Dave, with the M-Scaler, was used in the Innuos listening room. I am starting a search for an upgrade to my DAC.

Under consideration (will probably be buying used unless I find a great deal on a new item):

Chord Hugo TT2 or Dave with the M-Scaler
Weiss 501 Mk 2
Bricasti M1S2
Holo Audio May KTE
Mola Mola Tambaqui (price is really starting to drop on the used market)
TA DAC 200

See my signature below for current set up.

Any experience, thoughts, suggestions regarding these and perhaps others. I am in the US (Southern California) and retired.

Currently using a PS Audio DirectStream Mk1. This is providing nice results, but now I am wondering how much better can it get. In another post it was mentioned that the Chord Dave, with the M-Scaler, was used in the Innuos listening room. I am starting a search for an upgrade to my DAC.

Under consideration (will probably be buying used unless I find a great deal on a new item):

Chord Hugo TT2 or Dave with the M-Scaler
Weiss 501 Mk 2
Bricasti M1S2
Holo Audio May KTE
Mola Mola Tambaqui (price is really starting to drop on the used market)
TA DAC 200

See my signature below for current set up.

Any experience, thoughts, suggestions regarding these and perhaps others. I am in the US (Southern California) and retired.
I heard the Tambaqui with an Innuos Statement and Phoenix USB at Axpona this year a very nice combination, but a lot of money for that set up. My Zen MK 3 sounds amazing with my Denafrips T2, a very nice combination also and reasonably priced. Happy hunting. Fellow retiree here also.

I heard the Tambaqui with an Innuos Statement and Phoenix USB at Axpona this year a very nice combination, but a lot of money for that set up. My Zen MK 3 sounds amazing with my Denafrips T2, a very nice combination also and reasonably priced. Happy hunting. Fellow retiree here also.
I hope you had a chance to stop by our room at Axpona! We showcased a fantastic system featuring Soulution, Rockport, and Lampizator, along with a prototype I2S Pulsar that was definitely worth experiencing.

Just to clarify, in the room you visited, the box connected to the Statement was likely a PhoenixNET, as the PhoenixUSB is redundant when paired with a Statement.

Hopefully I see you there next year.

I hope you had a chance to stop by our room at Axpona! We showcased a fantastic system featuring Soulution, Rockport, and Lampizator, along with a prototype I2S Pulsar that was definitely worth experiencing.

Just to clarify, in the room you visited, the box connected to the Statement was likely a PhoenixNET, as the PhoenixUSB is redundant when paired with a Statement.

Hopefully I see you there next year.
Hi Dan I spent a lot of time in your room at Axpona and enjoyed the system very much with the Lampi 50k Dac. Subsequent to Axpona I replaced my Zen Mini/ PSU with a Zen MK 3. Love the Innuos products. Next step for me will be a Zen NG, sometime in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
I have an Innuos Zen Mk3 connected to a Chord Qutest and the results are very good via USB. I started out at the Innuos 1.4.7 release, and the sound quality has improved with updates to Innuos 2 and Sense 3. Sure, if more money is spent the solution may be better, but for the price of these two components the results are very good.
Innuos recommended Chord DACs. We initially auditioned the Qutest but were looking for a more relaxed sound and it felt far too forward. We ended up with a Hugo TT2. Absolutely haven’t regretted it but it’s recently been back twice for repairs. My dealer kindly loaned me a Qutest whilst it was away and it was genuinely interesting to get further experience of it at home. The second time turned into only a few days but the first ran into a couple of months.

The detail on the TT2 is all there but the more relaxed presentation means you have less focus on that and more of a sense of warmth, dimensionality and coherence. The detail on the Qutest is accompanied by a tad more neutral sound and I must say the consequence of that is phenomenal detail which constantly made my ears prick up on stuff I thought I knew inside out. Quite a revelation. Really enjoyed it. For me though detail is not music and vocals on the Qutest remain a tad screechy and just a little too forward. Have literally reinstalled the TT2 in the past hour and now things are warning up, yeah, it’s just lovely.

That said, when you’re looking for a DAC nowadays you are so spoilt for choice. I’ve found the only ones I don’t really get on with are things like Topping and RME. Just me though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toneranger
I did try the DS Mk2, but found the sound to be a bit muddied, particularly after hearing the Chord Dave and the Tambaqui. The two later DACs provided improved instrument separation although the Dave was a bit too clinical for my taste, particularly with the M-Scaler in the mix. I had a chance to borrow a Bricasti M1SE which was amazing. It had a variety of filters with one essentially matching the Chord Dave and another filter approaching the Tambaqui. I took a chance and purchased a M1S2 from The Music Room. It is even better than the M1SE. My friend who has a Chord with the M-Scaler decided to try an A/B test with the M1S2 on his system. He could not discern a difference. I have found the M1S2 is a great match with the Pulse and Phoenix USB. The ability to alter the DAC depending on the source is fantastic. I wish only one filter was best, but different sources, and genres, sound better with different settings.

The M1S2 will be my long-term DAC solution, until Bricasti comes out with an upgrade option in a few years.