Pulse with Phoenix USB

ThriftyAudio

Jul 1, 2024
California
Hello, I am new to the forum.

I recently purchased an Innuos Pulse plus and Phoenix USB. They both arrive this week.

My system is: Acoustat 1+1 speakers with SPL Crossover matched with dual Rythmik F12SE subs, Eversolo DMP-A6 being replaced by the Pulse and Phoenix, PS Audio Direct Stream Mk. 1 DAC, Benchmark LA4 pre-amp, and Pass Labs XA-25 power amp. (Also have a SACD player and a turntable and I am planning to add a NAS in the near future).

I plan to try the Phoenix with the DMP-A6 just to get an idea of what it does with a lower level streamer (previous streamers include Cambridge CXN v2 which I returned within a week, and a Bluesound N130 with PD Creative LPS which is currently in my 2nd system). Then I will conduct an a/b test of the Pulse with the A6. I fully expect the Pulse to stay and the A6 to find a new home, although I do like the Eversolo app better than the Bluesound app.

I am curious if there are any tips on getting the best out of the Pulse and Phoenix right away. Also, new apps are always a pain. Any guidance with learning the Sense app would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Ralph

I have made the commitment to stay with the Pulse and Phoenix USB. The pair combined provided a clearer stage with improved depth and height.

I am now looking at the PS Audio Directstream mk 1 as the next piece to be upgraded. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has combined a Zenith or Pulse streamer with the Phoenix USB and run them through the Hugo TT2 with the Chord M-Scaler?

How does the Phoenix USB and the M-Scaler sound together? Are they complementary, or do they limit what the other does? Any experience shared would be greatly appreciated.

I will leave the wider community to answer on sound impressions, but i can say from experience that PhoenixUSB and M-Scaler do not limit or conflict one another as they are serving two different purposes/offering two different benefits. So, the advantages of both are cumulative.

I have made the commitment to stay with the Pulse and Phoenix USB. The pair combined provided a clearer stage with improved depth and height.

I am now looking at the PS Audio Directstream mk 1 as the next piece to be upgraded. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has combined a Zenith or Pulse streamer with the Phoenix USB and run them through the Hugo TT2 with the Chord M-Scaler?

How does the Phoenix USB and the M-Scaler sound together? Are they complementary, or do they limit what the other does? Any experience shared would be greatly appreciated.
I use a zenith mk3 with phoenix net and usb run into a chord blu 2 and tt22. The chord has mscaler technology in a different think they are very complimentary. I did run without the blu for a while and the sound lost some of it's presence.

We have the Chord DAVE with M-Scaler in our sound room and I can confirm IMO you get sound benefits using both. Each adds their own benefits.

Reactions: Peder
Hello, I am new to the forum.

I recently purchased an Innuos Pulse plus and Phoenix USB. They both arrive this week.

My system is: Acoustat 1+1 speakers with SPL Crossover matched with dual Rythmik F12SE subs, Eversolo DMP-A6 being replaced by the Pulse and Phoenix, PS Audio Direct Stream Mk. 1 DAC, Benchmark LA4 pre-amp, and Pass Labs XA-25 power amp. (Also have a SACD player and a turntable and I am planning to add a NAS in the near future).

I plan to try the Phoenix with the DMP-A6 just to get an idea of what it does with a lower level streamer (previous streamers include Cambridge CXN v2 which I returned within a week, and a Bluesound N130 with PD Creative LPS which is currently in my 2nd system). Then I will conduct an a/b test of the Pulse with the A6. I fully expect the Pulse to stay and the A6 to find a new home, although I do like the Eversolo app better than the Bluesound app.

I am curious if there are any tips on getting the best out of the Pulse and Phoenix right away. Also, new apps are always a pain. Any guidance with learning the Sense app would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Ralph
Curious of your findings, I replaced my DMP A6 with my Zen MK 3, recognized a nice step up in sound improvement. Also hope you found the Sense app to be easy to navigate and I do prefer it over the Bluesound and Eversolo OS. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Phoenix USB, but my Denafrips T2 is doing quite well with the Zen MK 3, we will see.

I am very happy with the Pulse and Phoenix USB. At this level everything is incremental and it really depends on the rest of the system. The Pulse was a definite upgrade over the A6. I tried the Phoenix USB with the A6 and it improved the sound as well. Combining the Pulse with the Phoenix though was the best combination. I am glad I purchased both the Pulse and the Phoenix used. They run 40-50% of MSRP.

Now I am wondering about my DAC. The recent setting adjustment recommendation by Nuno also helped.

Currently thinking about a Chord Dave or Hugo TT2 with M-Scaler or a Weiss 502, or a Bricasti M1S2 (or M21). Maybe I will just pause and enjoy the music.

Reactions: Toneranger
Well, the Bricasti M1S2 arrives soon (Used from TMR). The Bricasti reduces Jitter to 6ppb. Is the Phoenix USB overkill since it addresses the same issue, or are there other gains to be had running it between the Pulse and the M1S2?

I am considering to buy a ZENith mk3 but am not sure it will work well with my Sugden masterclass 4 DAC. Does anyone have experience with this combination?

Well, the Bricasti M1S2 arrives soon (Used from TMR). The Bricasti reduces Jitter to 6ppb. Is the Phoenix USB overkill since it addresses the same issue, or are there other gains to be had running it between the Pulse and the M1S2?
In my experience no DAC is immune to jitter, but even besides that there is still ground plane, voltage noise etc to benefit from. If you already own the PhoenixUSB then it would be easy to test with and without it between PULSE and Bricasti, then make a decision based off your findings.