File names with double quotes not recognized

Simon W

Jun 7, 2024
USA
I noticed that whenever the file name of a track contains double quotes, the file is not added to the library.

My file are stored in a Synology NAS. AFP service is enabled on the NAS so that I can connect to it from my Mac. Double quote characters are allowed in file names and directory names by the file system and OS. But such files are not recognized in the Innuos app and they don't show up in the library.

BTW, if the name of a directory contains double quotes but the name of the tracks don't, I can still navigate to the folder from Music -> Folders and find the tracks. However, instead of the directory name with double quotes, a different directory name shows up where the second last character is a tilda and all other letters are in caps. I suppose AFP maintains a second name for files/directories with double quotes? And this arrangement is not recognized by Innuos? I wonder what other characters are not recognized.

Solution
Hi Simon,

Our systems use the SAMBA protocol in order to access shared folders as this is by far the most universal setting. There are a number of characters that are not allowed using this protocol and the system, particularly when backing up will "sanitise" these files otherwise they will create issues with backups as you can have a variety of formats like ExFAT that will also not accept those characters.

A filename cannot contain any of the following characters:
\ / : * ? " < > |
Hi Simon,

Our systems use the SAMBA protocol in order to access shared folders as this is by far the most universal setting. There are a number of characters that are not allowed using this protocol and the system, particularly when backing up will "sanitise" these files otherwise they will create issues with backups as you can have a variety of formats like ExFAT that will also not accept those characters.

A filename cannot contain any of the following characters:
\ / : * ? " < > |

Solution