Best program to rip cd’s

Menno

Jul 4, 2024
Netherlands
Good morning from the Netherlands,
I enjoy my Zenith for some years now. My favorite albums are ripped on the Zenith, with hardly any problems.
Others I rip on my laptop and then move the files to my NAS. With some problems sometimes, especially with some older and a little damaged cd’s.
Are there any suggestions for the best ripping program?
Any ideas what external usb cd/blu ray device to use for the ripping? At the moment I am using an LG cd/blu ray device(external).
Trying to improve the process 😉

Best regards
Menno

Hi Menno, there probably won't be a huge difference between the optical drives, the software will be more important. On a Windows PC, i only really have experience with Exact Audio Copy which seemed good.
I can't think of any obvious ways to improve the process, beside relocating a lot of the files inside the ZENith over to the NAS instead, then carry on using the ZENith ripper using the storage space that has been made available.

Hi Menno, there probably won't be a huge difference between the optical drives, the software will be more important. On a Windows PC, i only really have experience with Exact Audio Copy which seemed good.
I can't think of any obvious ways to improve the process, beside relocating a lot of the files inside the ZENith over to the NAS instead, then carry on using the ZENith ripper using the storage space that has been made available.
Hello Stephen,
I also use exact audio copy. It is better than some other programs in my opinion also.
Now and then an album could not be ripped completely.
When I put the album in the zenith the cd is ripped successfully.
So it looks like the zenith ripping software and the zenith cd player are superior.
I am not very good in relocating from the zenith to the Nas

Menno

Reactions: DanCollier
Hello Stephen,
I also use exact audio copy. It is better than some other programs in my opinion also.
Now and then an album could not be ripped completely.
When I put the album in the zenith the cd is ripped successfully.
So it looks like the zenith ripping software and the zenith cd player are superior.
I am not very good in relocating from the zenith to the Nas

Menno
When ripping problematical CDs, I've found that using different hardware can help. While ripping my CD collection (500+ CDs) I sometimes has to rip some tracks on my current PC & some on my old PC then merge the 2 sets of files.

I use dBpowerAmp for ripping on Windows which works very well & can deal with faulty CDs by ripping at low speed & re-reading blocks until errors are dealt with.

The only CDs I couldn't rip had 'bronzing' (AKA 'CD rot') so I had to buy new copies.

When ripping problematical CDs, I've found that using different hardware can help. While ripping my CD collection (500+ CDs) I sometimes has to rip some tracks on my current PC & some on my old PC then merge the 2 sets of files.

I use dBpowerAmp for ripping on Windows which works very well & can deal with faulty CDs by ripping at low speed & re-reading blocks until errors are dealt with.

The only CDs I couldn't rip had 'bronzing' (AKA 'CD rot') so I had to buy new copies.
Thanx for your response.
When EAC can’t rip a cd I rip it on my Zenith. After that I copy the files from the Zenith to my laptop and do some retagging.
The original is than removed from the Zenith (the 4TB disc is 87% full)
Then I copy the Album from my laptop to my NAS and rescan.
For me this is a good solution to the problem I had.

I got this tip in the answers to this thread

Reactions: alanrew
On a related note, I am unable to rip a hybrid CD/SACD on my ZENith mk3. When trying it for a second time, it just spins the disc for a while, then spits it out.

At first I didn't even notice the rip had failed because I left the machine unattended (so didn't know for how long the disc was spinning before being ejected) and there was no error message or warning in the system events log. (By the way, the album in question is Temptation by Chantal Chamberland, highly recommended!)

Plan B: rip the disc in a Verbatim model 43888 external BR drive connected to my iMac (using the Apple Music app set to AIFF, which is similar to WAV), then copy the files to my NAS and finally import the music to the ZENith. This is a little awkward but quite painless.

Has anyone else noticed compatibility issues with hybrid CD/SACDs on the ZENith?

On a related note, I am unable to rip a hybrid CD/SACD on my ZENith mk3. When trying it for a second time, it just spins the disc for a while, then spits it out.

At first I didn't even notice the rip had failed because I left the machine unattended (so didn't know for how long the disc was spinning before being ejected) and there was no error message or warning in the system events log. (By the way, the album in question is Temptation by Chantal Chamberland, highly recommended!)

Plan B: rip the disc in a Verbatim model 43888 external BR drive connected to my iMac (using the Apple Music app set to AIFF, which is similar to WAV), then copy the files to my NAS and finally import the music to the ZENith. This is a little awkward but quite painless.

Has anyone else noticed compatibility issues with hybrid CD/SACDs on the ZENith?
SACD and other high-res discs are not compatible for DSD ripping - this is notoriously difficult to do, and a quick look on Google around this will illustrate this.
The normal 'CD Redbook' layer of the disc is not protected to the same extent at all, so what you will find is the first time you inserted the disc into the Innuos, it should have ripped the normal 16/44 CD layer. When you put the disc back in the Innuos again, it should have detected it as a duplicate. If it did not rip anything at all, even the normal CD level, then there could be something particular to that disc.
There is a strong chance your Verbatim ripper will not work either, as you usually need very specific readers/players (often Sony or Oppo) to rip the DSD layer our of CD. The files would need to be .dsf or .dff, you would have to downmix to PCM if you wanted to use AIFF.

SACD and other high-res discs are not compatible for DSD ripping
I know. I’m only interested in the CD layer for now.
If it did not rip anything at all, even the normal CD level, then there could be something particular to that disc.
Yes, this is what happened. I.e., nothing happened at all.. I have a couple of other hybrids to rip as well, so I will soon find out more I guess.