Backup Drive no longer recognized in Sense but is on other computers

Hydrology

Jul 8, 2024
Perth, Western Australia
I noticed my backups were failing, so went into Innuos Sense and the plug in drive (regular Seagate 2TB mechanical drive) could not be found. I have disconnected this drive and plugged into both MAC and Windows machines and the drive can be seen fine.
I have now formatted the drive just in case (exFat) and still no ability to be seen in Sense.
Any ideas how to remedy? Dont really want to buy yet another drive when this one seems to work on other devices.
Running latest official FW.
Thanking you in advance.

Hi Hydrology, if the USB drive is now formatted, in the Sense BACKUP settings have you Reset the Backup Configuration, and gone through the process of trying to set up a New Backup drive, and it still will not see the Seagate?
Have you tried using a different USB port on the back of the Innuos?

Hi Hydrology, if the USB drive is now formatted, in the Sense BACKUP settings have you Reset the Backup Configuration, and gone through the process of trying to set up a New Backup drive, and it still will not see the Seagate?
Have you tried using a different USB port on the back of the Innuos?
As you can see in my post above yours, I formatted the drive as it was no longer recognized when connected to my ZEN MK3. Plugging this drive into my Mac (before wiping it) showed me the contents, therefore confirming that the drive is still working. I have tried a couple of USB thumb drives - all get seen by Sense. The only other USB socket on the back is the one I use to connect to my T+A DAC200.
If you have any formatting recommendations for this drive in Mac OS I am happy to follow and check again.

As an aside, I am currently doing a backup via NAS for the first time and it "appears" painfully slow (about 30% after almost 24 hours with approx 2TB of data). Does a regular backup to a NAS drive expect to take this long each and every time or does it just add the new data to whats already there and the process is faster when done with more regularity?

Hi,
Trying to help as had a similar problem myself a few months back.
As Stephen Healy suggests, disconnect your DAC from the output Usb connection and use that USB connection for the HD and try again.
Some 2Tb HD's draw too much current from the USB connection, especially the older mechanical HD's, therefore the HD does not power up.
Worth trying the output Usb, worked for me.
Regards

Hi,
Trying to help as had a similar problem myself a few months back.
As Stephen Healy suggests, disconnect your DAC from the output Usb connection and use that USB connection for the HD and try again.
Some 2Tb HD's draw too much current from the USB connection, especially the older mechanical HD's, therefore the HD does not power up.
Worth trying the output Usb, worked for me.
Regards
I'll give it a try, but not sure why it worked without issues for over 18 months, now not recognized by ONLY the Innuos...
Will report back.