Recommendation

frankie67

Sep 19, 2024
Milano
Hello everyone. Newbie here.

My current digital system is mainly composed of a dCS Vivaldi Apex (full stack) that is connected to the ethernet via an Innuos Phoenix Net switch and a Network Acoustics Muon Pro filter. I have a lifetime subscription with Roon and a subscription to Qobuz and all of my hi-res files reside in a Roon Nucleus connected via ethernet.

My question to you is the following: is there an Innuos unit which could replace the Roon Nucleus to act as a server in my system and also contain my hi-res files? Looking for a substantial increase in terms of SQ. I don't need a DAC or a clock or a streamer because all of these functions are dealt with (very well) by the Vivaldi.

Direct experience/A-B testing would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Franco

Hello everyone. Newbie here.

My current digital system is mainly composed of a dCS Vivaldi Apex (full stack) that is connected to the ethernet via an Innuos Phoenix Net switch and a Network Acoustics Muon Pro filter. I have a lifetime subscription with Roon and a subscription to Qobuz and all of my hi-res files reside in a Roon Nucleus connected via ethernet.

My question to you is the following: is there an Innuos unit which could replace the Roon Nucleus to act as a server in my system and also contain my hi-res files? Looking for a substantial increase in terms of SQ. I don't need a DAC or a clock or a streamer because all of these functions are dealt with (very well) by the Vivaldi.

Direct experience/A-B testing would be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Franco
Hi Frankie,
Yes, any of our ZEN or STATEMENT models can essentially offer what you are looking for. They can be Roon Cores that have built-in storage and many other features besides.
However, the reality is that (depending on the product) you would get substantially bigger SQ gains by going USB directly into the Vivaldi. Many streaming DACs still benefit tremendously from using external streamers, and yes from re-clocked signals that come before-hand. I have done this demo specifically to customers so can testify to the difference, but you need to hear this for yourself so I would recommend that you to a dealer who might be able to facilitate this demo. If you email sales@innuos.com and let us know your location, we may be able to point you in the right direction.

Reactions: luca.pelliccioli
Thanks Stephen. I’ve tried with the Aurender N20 and USB is not thenrif
I mention USB as that is the main output type we focus on and maximize - that may not be the case for other digital source brands. I would suggest trying to audition our ZENith Next-Gen or perhaps even STATEMENT Next-Gen.

I mention USB as that is the main output type we focus on and maximize - that may not be the case for other digital source brands. I would suggest trying to audition our ZENith Next-Gen or perhaps even STATEMENT Next-Gen.
Thanks Stephen. I’ve tried with the Aurender N20 and with the USB connection it sounded terribly. It was better with the dual AES but I've decided to return it because I use that input for my Vivaldi Transport.

So I am now looking to replace only the server. Do you believe that the Innuos unit would make a difference SQ-wise vs. the Roon Nucleus? Have you tested it? Many thanks

Franco

PS: I'm based in Milan, Italy.

Thanks Stephen. I’ve tried with the Aurender N20 and with the USB connection it sounded terribly. It was better with the dual AES but I've decided to return it because I use that input for my Vivaldi Transport.

So I am now looking to replace only the server. Do you believe that the Innuos unit would make a difference SQ-wise vs. the Roon Nucleus? Have you tested it? Many thanks

Franco

PS: I'm based in Milan, Italy.
Hi Frankie,
Okay, good to know. Yes, an Innuos unit would make a significant difference in terms of SQ over a Roon Core, but much more so if you go USB directly. This has been tested and proven multiple times across different kinds of systems.
I will message you with options of where to test this for yourself.

Stephen, I am hoping your correct as starting tomorrow when I set my Aperio up USB with the Zenith MK3 I made the purchase in the hopes of improving SQ specifically. I had DCS products and they in fact optimize their network connections as they way they recommend. And they are excellent so I am hoping this will be next level for me?

Stephen, I am hoping your correct as starting tomorrow when I set my Aperio up USB with the Zenith MK3 I made the purchase in the hopes of improving SQ specifically. I had DCS products and they in fact optimize their network connections as they way they recommend. And they are excellent so I am hoping this will be next level for me?
Also, I have Qobuz and Tidal and Audirvana subscriptions trying to settle on one. I want in big on MQA and we see how that worked out so I am hoping this (sense) will be cleaner and long term

There are both good and bad implementations on both Ethernet and USB - it just depends on the products that you have to hand. I can speak to the Innuos approach on this front, but can only speculate on other brands unless personal experience can inform me otherwise.