Playing DSD files with the Pulse Mini

Laurens

Jul 16, 2024
The Netherlands
Good evening everyone, I hope you can help me with the following. I’ve used my Pulse Mini only for Qobuz streaming so far. Now I’m wondering if/how I can play my Octave Records DSD files with it. I have these stored on a windows laptop and my DAC is able to play native DSD up to 512 (Audio Analogue AA DAC).
Looking forward to your advice.
Laurens

Hi Laurens, the PULSEmini supports Native DSD playback as well as DoP up to 256.

The PULSEmini can read these DSD files across the network, so you can either place the DSD files onto a dedicated NAS (preferable), or if you want to keep them on the Windows laptop then you need to keep the DSD files within a shared/mounted network folder, which could be a bit more complicated to configure. Also, do keep in mind that if the laptop is running on WiFi then be fully prepared to potentially experience intermittent playback or dropouts in playback, as DSD files are very large and some networks will struggle with the transfer requirements.

An easier approach might be to move some of those files on to a USB drive, then plug that drive in to one of the rear USB ports of the PULSEmini and use Sense app to play these.

Do also note that Native DSD support on DACs can vary between Windows sources and Linux sources, so there is no guarantee of the Native compatibility as our devices use Linux. Do let us know your findings as it would be good for us to know if the AADAC is fully DSD compatible with our devices. If Native DSD does not work then DoP should be fine and would still support your DSD files up to 256 resolution.

If you become more interested in a better way to store these local files and maximise the best sound out of them, then it could be that one of the ZEN series with built-in storage is a better fit for what you need; it would bypass all the steps mentioned above, and the files themselves would integrate into the Sense app library unified with your Qobuz content.

Last edited:
Hi Laurens, the PULSEmini supports Native DSD playback as well as DoP up to 256.

The PULSEmini can read these DSD files across the network, so you can either place the DSD files onto a dedicated NAS (preferable), or if you want to keep them on the Windows laptop then you need to keep the DSD files within a shared/mounted network folder, which could be a bit more complicated to configure. Also, do keep in mind that if the laptop is running on WiFi then be fully prepared to potentially experience intermittent playback or dropouts in playback, as DSD files are very large and some networks will struggle with the transfer requirements.

An easier approach might be to move some of those files on to a USB drive, then plug that drive in to one of the rear USB ports of the PULSEmini and use Sense app to play these.

Do also note that Native DSD support on DACs can vary between Windows sources and Linux sources, so there is no guarantee of the Native compatibility as our devices use Linux. Do let us know your findings as it would be good for us to know if the AADAC is fully DSD compatible with our devices. If Native DSD does not work then DoP should be fine and would still support your DSD files up to 256 resolution.

If you become more interested in a better way to store these local files and maximise the best sound out of them, then it could be that one of the ZEN series with built-in storage is a better fit for what you need; it would bypass all the steps mentioned above, and the files themselves would integrate into the Sense app library unified with your Qobuz content. Further reading and I’m makes me tempted to consider Zenith MK2 or 3.
Further reading and I’m tempted to go for Zenith MK2 or 3 ;-) How does the transfer of DSD files from Windows Laptop to Zenith’s built-in storage work exactly?

Further reading and I’m tempted to go for Zenith MK2 or 3 ;-) How does the transfer of DSD files from Windows Laptop to Zenith’s built-in storage work exactly?
It would be very straight forward, basically drag-and-drop across the network from your laptop into the shared Music folder of the ZENith is all you need to do. Alternatively, if all those files are on a USB drive of some kind, that drive can be plugged into the back of the ZENith and you can run an import from USB to make a copy of those files into the internal storage of the ZENith.
Either method is fine!

It would be very straight forward, basically drag-and-drop across the network from your laptop into the shared Music folder of the ZENith is all you need to do. Alternatively, if all those files are on a USB drive of some kind, that drive can be plugged into the back of the ZENith and you can run an import from USB to make a copy of those files into the internal storage of the ZENith.
Either method is fine!
Thanks again. How do the Zenith MK2 and Zen MK3 compare? (I understand the Zenith MK3 being a very serious upgrade)

Thanks again. How do the Zenith MK2 and Zen MK3 compare? (I understand the Zenith MK3 being a very serious upgrade)
Do keep in mind with the ZENith MkII that it was discontinued in 2018, and will not be able to support the substantial Sense 3.0 update that we are imminently releasing.
Besides this, main benefits towards sound quality and performance of Mk3 against MkII are:
- Much improved triple Linear PSU section using Mundorf caps (upgrade from Nichicons used on MkII)
- Asymmetric isolation feet for better vibration isolation
- More customised mainboard with more treatment for EMI/RFI that also has wider USB DAC compatibility.
- Around 30% faster running speed due to faster chipset
- Better standard of SSD; harder-wearing with better power-loss protection, with better EMI shielding.

Do keep in mind with the ZENith MkII that it was discontinued in 2018, and will not be able to support the substantial Sense 3.0 update that we are imminently releasing.
Besides this, main benefits towards sound quality and performance of Mk3 against MkII are:
- Much improved triple Linear PSU section using Mundorf caps (upgrade from Nichicons used on MkII)
- Asymmetric isolation feet for better vibration isolation
- More customised mainboard with more treatment for EMI/RFI that also has wider USB DAC compatibility.
- Around 30% faster running speed due to faster chipset
- Better standard of SSD; harder-wearing with better power-loss protection, with better EMI shielding.
Clear, thanks again!

Reactions: Stephen Healy