How do I tell InnuOS that an album has 2 or more artists & get them listed separately in the Artists list?

alanrew

Jul 24, 2024
UK
I have several albums, ripped from classical CDs, where there are 2 or more "artists", e.g. a singer & a pianist.

How do I get the InnuOS catalogue system to list each of these 2 people separately in the "Artists" list?

I've tried just listing their names separated by commas, ampersands or slashes in the album "artist" field but this doesn't work.

Thanks in anticipation for any help

Zen Server Mk. 3, InnuOS 2.6.3

Solution
I listen mostly to classical music and jazz. I need most of the time to include multiple artists. Sense will only recognize one Album Artist, but will include as many track artists as needed. I find that the best way to edit artists is to do so with third party software. I use mostly Yate on Mac OS but there are many options. This can be done before importing or even on the server folder. In this way I can edit all tracks at once, or a group of tracks or each track as needed. The trick is to separate artist by semi-colon « ; ». In this way each artist is listed separately and each album and track will be listed in searched under that artist. Do not use commas, ampersands or slashes as you will end up with one artist including all of the...
If you're doing that at the Album Artist level, you can't. At the Album Artist it's either one artist or set as Various Artists (Compilation). At the Track level you can have several artists and these will be present on the All Artists list.

Reactions: alanrew
If you're doing that at the Album Artist level, you can't. At the Album Artist it's either one artist or set as Various Artists (Compilation). At the Track level you can have several artists and these will be present on the All Artists list.
Thanks for clarifying this, it's appreciated.

Maybe this could be a Feature Request?
Being able to do this at album level could save the user a lot of time in editing metadata.

Thanks for clarifying this, it's appreciated.

Maybe this could be a Feature Request?
Being able to do this at album level could save the user a lot of time in editing metadata.
If you change the Artist on the first track of the album, the system should ask if you want to change all of them so you can change all tracks in one go.

I listen mostly to classical music and jazz. I need most of the time to include multiple artists. Sense will only recognize one Album Artist, but will include as many track artists as needed. I find that the best way to edit artists is to do so with third party software. I use mostly Yate on Mac OS but there are many options. This can be done before importing or even on the server folder. In this way I can edit all tracks at once, or a group of tracks or each track as needed. The trick is to separate artist by semi-colon « ; ». In this way each artist is listed separately and each album and track will be listed in searched under that artist. Do not use commas, ampersands or slashes as you will end up with one artist including all of the text at once. If the artists are indeed the same ones on each and every track (the same applies to composers) then you can edit the first track directly in Sense and answer yes to replacing them in all tracks but it is all or nothing… Third party editors can be much more flexible and powerful at this point and are fully compatible with Innuos Sense.

Solution
I listen mostly to classical music and jazz. I need most of the time to include multiple artists. Sense will only recognize one Album Artist, but will include as many track artists as needed. I find that the best way to edit artists is to do so with third party software. I use mostly Yate on Mac OS but there are many options. This can be done before importing or even on the server folder. In this way I can edit all tracks at once, or a group of tracks or each track as needed. The trick is to separate artist by semi-colon « ; ». In this way each artist is listed separately and each album and track will be listed in searched under that artist. Do not use commas, ampersands or slashes as you will end up with one artist including all of the text at once. If the artists are indeed the same ones on each and every track (the same applies to composers) then you can edit the first track directly in Sense and answer yes to replacing them in all tracks but it is all or nothing… Third party editors can be much more flexible and powerful at this point and are fully compatible with Innuos Sense.
Thanks for the tip, this is very useful.

Reactions: DanCollier